Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPalâs 305 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
If you are passionate about new technologies, have a strong technical background, and are looking for an engaging environment where you can continuously expand your knowledge, you are the right fit for this role. PayPal SRE is looking for a quality-driven software engineer who is ready to constantly challenge themselves by working on a wide variety of DevOps technologies. The Embedded Site Reliability Engineering (eSRE) Team is a select group of PayPal technologists always striving to do the right thing for all our internal and external customers. The team provides a unique opportunity to learn and impact the SRE organization directly, but also PayPal products teams and initiatives, often working side by side with our product teams to launch new features with a focus on scalability and reliability.
Our goal is to protect and improve the availability, reliability, performance and efficiency of PayPal services by promoting the consistent use of the available platforms and by enabling Product Development to take end to end ownership of their products by embracing a self-service culture.
As part of the embedded SRE team you will have the opportunity to work closely with teams in different domains and organizations, learning and using all the latest tools and technologies that are (or will be) the foundation of the PayPal stack.
We strongly believe that software engineers are not defined by one programming language, but rather by the passion to their craft. We welcome all kinds of backgrounds as long as it comes with passion and curiosity.
We fully embrace the DevOps tenets, fostering an environment where engineers can explore, learn, collaborate and be creative.
As a PayPal embedded SRE Engineer, you will have the opportunity to:
- Work directly with Product Development teams on features, operations, and reliability engineering, to improve the outcomes that our customers deserve.
- Work independently and within a team to triage and remediate production system and application incidents while practicing balanced incident responses. Takes the learning and build them as workflows driving towards a predictive & preventive future.
- Lead constructive retrospective sessions to help us enhance the whole lifecycle of servicesâfrom inception and design, through deployment, operation, and refinement.
- Develop and improve production monitoring and management capabilities using existing platforms and tools.
- Be the primary enabler in the reduction of Failed Customer Interactions to raise our availability to all our users.
- Leads & participates in architecture and software development activities.
- Apply DevOps principles in solving operational problems through extreme and innovative automations and solutions.
- Design and drive roadmaps, outcomes, and collaborative projects. Translate vision into strategy.
- Explores industry best practices and influences application of the most relevant and effective solutions in the activities performed day to day.
To be successful in this role, you need to be comfortable moving across all levels of the PayPal stack, and we will provide the support needed to build the required expertise.
We expect you to have the spirit of a pioneer. You need to be a passionate learner and not be afraid to focus your time and energy on exploring new worlds every day.
- Desire to work in a collaborative environment
- Understand the need to be a good communicator
- Love to write code and have strong fundamentals in software engineering
- Understand that delivering solutions at scale requires a mixture of both software engineering and operational prowess
- Have an understanding of networking principles and want to learn what clouds are made of
- Familiarity with various Unix/Linux distributions
- Understand the end-to-end SDLC for an application
- Have an investigative mind that pushes you to get to the bottom of things
- Words like Docker, Ansible and Service Mesh make your synapses light up
We’re a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at [Confidential Information].