We currently have an opportunity within SPIE Oil & Gas Services Middle East LLC Qatar for:
ARC WELDER 6G (MARINE MECHANICAL TECHNICIAN)
This position is a unique opportunity to carry out skilled ARC welding work including inspection, planning, preparation and cutting, inspection, checking/testing; to fabricate, repair, maintain and install metal item, checking/testing whilst performing the allocated tasks to meet applicable safety standards, targets, criteria and deadlines.
Your main duties will be:
• Welds together metal components of products, such as pipelines, boilers, ships as specified by layout, blueprints, diagram, work order, welding procedures, or oral instructions, using electric arc-welding equipment: Obtains specified electrode and inserts electrode into portable holder or threads consumable electrode wire through portable welding gun.
• Connects cables from welding unit to obtain amperage, voltage, slope, and pulse, as specified by WELDING ENGINEER.
• Strikes arc which generates heat to melt and deposit metal from electrode to workpiece and join edges of workpiece.
• Manually guides electrode or gun along weld line, maintaining length of arc and speed of movement to form specified depth of fusion and bead, as judged from color of metal, sound of weld, and size of molten puddle.
• Welds in flat, horizontal, vertical, or overhead positions.
• Examines weld for bead size and other specifications.
• May manually apply filler rod to supply weld metal.
• May clean or degrease weld joint or workpiece, using wire brush, portable grinder, or chemical bath.
• May repair broken or cracked parts and fill holes.
• May prepare broken parts for welding by grooving or scarfing surfaces.
• May chip off excess weld, slag, and spatter, using hand scraper or power chipper.
• May preheat workpiece, using hand torch or heating furnace.
• May position and clamp workpieces together or assemble them in jig or fixture.
• May tack assemblies together.
• May cut metal plates or structural shapes.
• May be designated according to type of equipment used as Welder, Carbon Arc; Welder, Flux-Cored Arc; Welder, Gas-Metal Arc; Welder, Gas-Tungsten Arc; Welder, Hand, Submerged Arc; Welder, Plasma Arc; Welder, Shielded-Metal Arc.
• May operate other machine shop equipment to prepare components for welding.
• Important variations include types of metals welded, subprocesses used, trade name of equipment used, work site, method of application, high-production or custom, level of ambidexterity required, type of joints welded.
Ideally, you should have education of Diploma or ITI.
Minimum experience of at least five (5) years of field experience in ARC welding in major oil & gas, petrochemical, heavy industries.
You will have good interpersonal and organizational skills, as well as, an advance level of computer literacy and be proficient in Microsoft Office. You will need excellent communication and presentation skills in both written and verbal English.